The history of the church of san Lorenzo began in the Early Middle Ages when a church was built, event mentioned on documents of 980. Matilde di Canossa had a church then built in Romanesque style, probably in 1082.
The history of the church of San Lorenzo began in the Early Middle Ages when a church was built, event mentioned on documents of 980. The area on which it rises was formerly occupied by a Roman settlement, as testified by the remains kept in the Civic Museum. Matilde di Canossa had the church built in Romanesque style, probably in 1082, a few years after the enlargement of the Monastery of Polirone. Thanks to an architectural scheme that makes it harmonious and imposing, the Church reveals its Romanesque nature in the structure of the apses, to which terracotta tiles convey chromatic intensity and plastic vigor. Inside, massive terracotta columns and notched capitals strengthen the memory of his Lombard origin. It was rebuilt in the first half of the twentieth century and enriched by two lateral aisles.