Palazzo Ducale dates back to the second half of the 14th century and was born from the transformation of the ancient fortress, wanted by the Marquis Ludovico II Gonzaga on the project of the architect Luca Fancelli,. The fortress tower, 1125, is crenellated “alla guelfa” and equipped with a bell cell.
Gonzaga’s Palazzo Ducale was built as a fortification in 1125 by Modena people, then conquered by Mantua and Brescia people. Mantua people ended it building seven towers and named it after the name of the island, thus "Revere Castle". After various vicissitudes, especially after the overflowing of the rivers, including Po (1131), which caused the flooding of the entire province and therefore of Revere island and of the fortress itself, in 1332 Mons.Bonfatti handed it over to Luigi Gonzaga. From 1444 to 1478, Palazzo Ducale was built, wanted by Ludovico II, based on the seven towers that formed the defensive system of the Revere Island. The building was in a great strategic position as a defense outpost on the Po, in front of the enemy territory. It also had a definitive residential aspect: they could collect taxes from goods in transit on the Po and at the same time it was the center of a rural court of the Gonzaga. This first work by Fancelli in Mantua territory had to have, supposedly, a closed plan with internal courtyard in the original drawing, and this characteristic, like the angular towers, is a fundamental iconographic and typological derivation, typical of local castles. The castle then became a fortified palace with political and military functions. Today it has an internal courtyard, porch on the ground floor where Brunelleschi's influence was perceived. The central building is framed and defined by two towers.