Build your route

Navigate the map and add your destinations or filter the places by category. Then download the Qui Oltrepò app and bring your itinerary with you.

Don't know where to start? Let yourself be inspired by our itineraries.

Featured routes

Save the route in app

Route name

Route ID:

Download app

Take this route with you

Download the App, enter the ID and follow this route from your smartphone!

Etnography

Looking for something special?

Browse topics to locate them on the map

Neoclassic church of St. John Baptist
Borgofranco sul Po

Neoclassical parish church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Consecrated in 1550, it was completely reconstructed in 1788 due to the damage caused by a violent whirlwind.

Read more... Add to route
Clay quarries
San Giovanni Del Dosso

The quarries are located in the north and south of the village, and in the area of the quarries there is an ongoing project of renaturalisation

Read more... Add to route
The truffle
Borgofranco sul Po

Borgofranco sul Po is the only municipality in Lombardia to be part of the National Truffle City Association. Since 1995, every October a truffle fair is held: Tuberfood. Moreover a special conference on truffles is held, as well as a Literary Contest, and 2 local fairs in Bonizzo (the 2nd weekend in October) and in Borgofranco (the 1st weekend of September).

Read more... Add to route
An old mill in Bonizzo
Borgofranco sul Po

Ancient windmill located in Bonizzo. With the advent of electricity, in the 1930s the mills floating on the Po moved to the mainland. The Bonizzo mill was the only one to continue the activity until the 1980s and today, just like a museum of peasant civilization, it exhibits finds, tools and machinery of the past.

Read more... Add to route
Salame Casalin Museum
Moglia

Al salam d’la lengua is made from fatty and lean cuts of meat minced togheter with the pig's tongue – which has already been salted or cut into cubes – hard fat, salt, pepper and spices: cloves, cinnamon, juniper, mace and bay.

Read more... Add to route
Flood plain park
Moglia

Set up in 2005, the Park covers an area of around 1,200 hectares, including territory from the municipalities of Quistello, Quingentole, San Benedetto Po and Moglia, and encloses agricultural systems and natural river environments. The wilderness area is characterised by territorial geomorphology dominated by tight meanders of the river and major hydraulic systems, testimony of the thousand-year-long work by the people of the Mantuan Oltrepò to manage the waters.

Read more... Add to route
Land reclamation Ecomuseum
Moglia

The Land Reclamation Museum, which covers the entire municipality of Moglia, has 14 km of cycle paths (Eurovelo 7) along the banks of the drainage channels and the river, 4 areas for rest and orientation, information panels illustrating the natural, historic, hydraulic and architectural features of the area, an archive in Piazza Libertà that holds iconographic documents and materials that give information on the land reclamation works in relation to the history and culture of this area, taking into account: nature and landscape, history, waterways and architecture.

Read more... Add to route
Matilde's church of San Lorenzo
Pegognaga

The history of the church of san Lorenzo began in the Early Middle Ages when a church was built, event mentioned on documents of 980. Matilde di Canossa had a church then built in Romanesque style, probably in 1082.

Read more... Add to route
Vittorio Veneto's square
Pegognaga

In Piazza Vittorio Veneto you will find Anselmi Theater and Livia Bottardi Milani Cultural Center, where the library and the Archaeological Civic Museum are located. Around the square, there are some of the most strucking buildings symbols of the rationalist architecture of the territory.

Read more... Add to route
Archaeological museum
Pegognaga

The museum holds a collection of items found in the nineteenth century in the archaeological area of San Lorenzo di Pegognaga. The collection consists of discoveries from Roman times, the most famous piece is the capital from the Tuscan order, dating from the late first century BC to the second century AD, bearing the inscription PADO PATRI, indicating the cult of the river Po which in Roman times passed close to the site of San Lorenzo.

Read more... Add to route
Vin Cot - De.Co.
Quistello

Produced during the grape harvest. The raw material is the must from the Lambrusco Grappelo Ruberti variety

Read more... Add to route
Al Capel dal Pret
Quistello

Al capel dal pret pumpkin is on the national register as a conservation variety: some companies from Quistello and Villa Poma have become seed keepers!

Read more... Add to route
Cooperative Winery
Quistello

Quistello's Cooperative Winery was founded in 1928 by a group of vine growers. The production area expands along the banks of the Secchia River, in the province of Mantua, which boasts ancient wine and gastronomic traditions. All members follow Integrated pest management with a low environmental impact in order to ensure the genuineness of the product. Wines produced by Quistello's Cooperative Winery have gained, over the years, great awards.

Read more... Add to route
St. Bartholomew's church
Quistello

The church, named after St. Bartholomew, was rebuilt with the stones of the castle demolished in 1732.

Read more... Add to route
Monument to the first Peasant League
Quistello

n the hamlet of San Rocco stands a bronze statue, three meters high, depicting one of the many men who, over a century ago, oppressed and exploited, labored in the fields. It is the monument to the first peasant league in Italy.

Read more... Add to route
San Fiorentino's church
Quistello

In the hamlet of Nuvolato you can see the Romanesque-Matilde’s age Church of San Fiorentino Martyr from the early XII century, presumably built as a replacement for a pre-existing worship building mentioned for the first time in 1059. It is definitely the most interesting construction from Matilde’s age of Mantuan buildings.

Read more... Add to route
G.Gorni dispersed museum
Quistello

The museum is located in the G. Pascoli former Elementary Schools of the Nuvolato hamlet, a building designed by the artist himself between 1929 and 1930, and inaugurated in 2005 to host its many works. The collection consists of 400 works including sculptures, engravings, drawings and paintings. The drawings are populated by cows and peasants, made of daily gestures, of small affections, shown with the strength and intensity of those who found the right key to reading. The sculptures, modeled with the clay from the rivers Po and Secchia, capture the strength of the earth making the poses full of vigor and passion. Gorni's works offer us a very special view of the twentieth-century peasantry.

Read more... Add to route
The local pear: Pera Mantovana
San Giovanni Del Dosso

PERWIVA: San Giovanni del Dosso is also home to the Consortium of the local Pera Mantovana, pear variety.

Read more... Add to route
St. John the Baptist church
San Giovanni Del Dosso

The parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected in 1616 on the foundations of a church built in the Matilde era. The church was heavily damaged by the 2012 Emilian earthquakes

Read more... Add to route
Dosso Dossi, the painter
San Giovanni Del Dosso

Giovanni di Niccolò Luteri, commonly known as Dosso Dossi (San Giovanni del Dosso, 1474 - Ferrara, 1542), was an Italian painter. He was the main artist in the Este Castle in Ferrara in the early sixteenth century, the era of Ariosto, whose fantastic stories was a striking interpreter. His works are exhibited in the most prestigious museums around the world.

Read more... Add to route
Turtei sguasarot
Schivenoglia

Recipe based on vino cotto, wine and tortelli filled with beans and dried chestnuts.

Read more... Add to route
Mechanic and refrigerator industry in Suzzara
Suzzara

Suzzara is the main industrial center of Oltrepo Mantovano. Its economy is closely related to the mechanical sector, in particular to the construction and repair of agricultural machinery.

Read more... Add to route
Museum Gallery of Suzzara Prize
Suzzara

The Civic Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art opened in 1975, and it became a museum in 2002, making more than 800 works available to the public, and the number is continuously expanding through private donations and acquisitions, not to mention from the prize that still runs every two years.

Read more... Add to route
San Colombano Park
Suzzara

San Colombano Park covers an area of about 730 hectares in the municipality of Suzzara, in the floodplain near the villages of Riva and Tabellano. The area houses several riparian forests, poplar groves, arable land, wild willow groves, sand, wetlands in the vicinity of old clay quarries.

Read more... Add to route
The Tower - Suzzara
Suzzara

The tower of Suzzara, the only element left of the ancient castle, was erected in1372 outside the medieval wall, beside the entrance door, under the power of Lodovico I Gonzaga. Initially 25 meters high and then carried to the current 32 meters in the early decades of the 1900s, it is the main monument of the city. After restoration work a few years ago, it is now possible to climb up to the top, from which you have a wonderful view of the city and the surrounding countryside.

Read more... Add to route
Almond Pastries
Villa Poma

Thin sheets of pastry covered with a meringue made from egg whites, almond and sugar.

Read more... Add to route
Gentile salami
Villa Poma

The “gentile” salami is characterized by the gut where it is stuffed, which is the end of the intestine: this gut has the characteristic of being highly thick (on average up to about 2 mm) consisting mainly of fat.

Read more... Add to route
Sant'Andrea del Ghisione Oratory
Villa Poma

In Ghisione, in a place previously occupied by a Roman villa, lies the ancient Matilde’s oratory, which was built at the end of the XI century, dedicated to Sant'Andrea.

Read more... Add to route
Saint Michael the Archangel's church
Villa Poma

In the center of the village you will find the parish church of San Michele Arcangelo, of medieval origin, rebuilt in the early twentieth century. The church houses two canvases of the contemporary Mantua painter Lanfranco, one depicting St. Michael the Archangel, and the other the Christ Pantocrator. In the two aisles you will find the paintings of the Via Crucis, by several artists of the 17th century Venetian school.

Read more... Add to route
Parmigiano Reggiano
Pegognaga

Oltrepò mantovano is the only strip of land outside Emilia where Parmigiano Reggiano is produced.

Read more... Add to route
Vialone Nano rise
Sustinente

Vialone Nano has been grown in the Oltrepò mantovano since the first half of 1900s. It is a hybrid variety (the oldest cultivated in Italy, and the second in the world) and a cross between Vialone and Nano, which contain an essential protein that determines greater consistency and less tackiness during cooking. Perfect for dishes from the region.

Read more... Add to route
Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Sustinente

The Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1603 in a classical baroque style, at different times, because of the repeated Po rivers's floods.

Read more... Add to route
Rural villas in Sustinente
Sustinente

In the territory of Sustinente there are many interesting courts of different ages.

Read more... Add to route
Sustinente Parish Church
Sustinente

The parish church of San Michele Arcangelo, built in 1792, is a Doric-style building with a two-story façade.

Read more... Add to route
The pig - Serravalle a Po
Serravalle a Po

The discovery of fifty thousand sets of animal bones, most of them pigs, from the 5th century B.C. in the area of Forcello shows that the Etruscans bred and ate the animal in the Oltrepò mantovano. It may even have been them who started local cured meats production.

Read more... Add to route
The hamlets
Serravalle a Po

Serravalle at Po is made up of five small separate centers. Torriana is characterized by the presence of the church (for long time deconsecrated) and the beautiful palaces built between the 17th and 19th centuries with stylistic references to Giulio Romano's work. In the village of Serravalle in Po there is the parish church of Santi Filippo and Giacomo, housing the recently restored organ. In the hamlet of Libiola you can see the parish church of Santa Ceciclia and the restored arcades. The hamlet of Cardinala, home to paddy fields already in the Middle Ages, is the area of the oldest settlements of the town dating back to the ancient Neolithic. Caselle is a nice village at the foot of the embankment between Serravalle and Torriana. The municipality as a whole is scattered with small and large rural courts of great historical and architectural interest.

Read more... Add to route
Ranieri painter, named Lo Schivenoglia
Schivenoglia

Francesco Maria Raineri, known as "Lo Schivenoglia", is a great painter who lived between 17th and 18th centuries, whose numerous works are scattered in many places of worship not only in Mantua area.

Read more... Add to route
Salumificio Pedrazzoli

Salumificio Pedrazzoli was opened in 1951 in the center of San Giovanni del Dosso by the head of the family Arnaldo Pedrazzoli, supported by his wife and the help of his children. The dream of his life had come true: from worker in a salumificio to owner of the butcher's shop

Read more... Add to route
Capons

“Making” capons was a requirement in the country due to the fact that having more than one rooster in the henhouse was considered “a waste.” The rooster’s flesh was hard and inedible because of its vigour and energy, which meant it did not gain weight. The breeding of capons in the Oltrepò mantovano is concentrated in this area.

Read more... Add to route
Boscone Island
Carbonara di Po

On the banks of the Po, behind the town of Carbonara, Boscone Island encloses the second largest spontaneous forest in the Province of Mantua. Established in 1984, the nature reserve extends over an area of 130 hectares, it is part of the European nature protection network Natura 2000 and is one of the 51 wetlands of international importance in Italy.

Read more... Add to route
Bisighini's Villa
Carbonara di Po

"Ladies and gentlemen, your presence in this house, softens my soul that is filled with reverent homage and it makes up for so many years of tireless work. It is my duty to thank the Honourable Senator, Mr Fornasari, Mr Monicelli and Mr Bresciano for the undeserved honours that they have paid me and for attending this party here in my home." Taken from the speech given by Bisighini for the villa’s inaugural party.

Read more... Add to route
The Tiròt of Felonica
Sermide e Felonica

The straw-coloured onion is the main ingredient of the traditional recipe of the tiròt of Felonica, which in 2013 became a Slow Food Product, having the aim of safeguarding and re-activating the cultivation of typical onion, promoting the local supply chain that connects bakers to farms and defending its uniqueness through a shared code of rules. Francesco Cherubini's mantovano-italian Vocabulary of 1827 describes the tiròt as "leavened wheat bread, which seasoned with onions and sometimes even lard is put to bake in the oven." Recipe that still holds today: "rolled out" by hand, it is eaten just baked.

Read more... Add to route
Museum of healing herbs
Sermide e Felonica

Corte Nigella has cultivated and safeguarded the ancient innate knowledge of medicinal herbs since 2005: the Garden of the Simple is like an open air museum to rediscover far-reaching traditions and traditional knowledge handed down orally about the use of aromas in the kitchen and healing herbs.

Read more... Add to route
St. Mary of the Assumption Church
Sermide e Felonica

The Romanesque-Gothic Parish church, the only testimony of the abbey dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and the annexed monastery, was founded by the Benedictine monks of St. Benedict in Polirone (today San Benedetto Po) and destroyed by the bombings of the Second World War. Made of clay bricks, of Romanesque-Gothic style, it features at the center of the facade two terracotta tiles representing a dragon and a lamb.

Read more... Add to route
Cavriani Palace
Sermide e Felonica

Eighteenth-century building and Town Hall, it houses the Museum of World War II. Impressive eighteenth-century building enriched by a balcony and five sandstone statues that adorn the roof. Next to it is a sixteenth-century fortified tower, last testimony of a pre-existing building.

Read more... Add to route
World War II Museum
Sermide e Felonica

The Po river WWII museum is a centre devoted to the memory of the war events that took place in the areas along the great river during the Second World War.

Read more... Add to route
IT Museum
Sermide e Felonica

The IT Museum was born thanks to the passion of some individuals who spent most of their time in front of infernal machines, pressing keys apparently at random and watching apparently dead monitors. After years of accumulating strange electronic devices of all sorts, to be used in dubious night-time activities, there was enough to set up a museum!

Read more... Add to route
The straw onion
Sermide e Felonica

“I have praised everything that exists / but for me, onion / you are more beautiful than a bird / with dazzling feathers, / heavenly globe, platinum goblet, / unmoving dance / of the snowy anemone / and the fragrance of the earth lives / in your cristalline nature”.. Pablo Neruda, Ode alla cipolla.

Read more... Add to route
The melon
Carbonara di Po

A letter dated 30 July, 1480 by the devoted farm manager Antonius Albrici tells us how melons were already appreciated at court: nine melons, the first fruits from the melinara at the court of Dosso dell’Inferno, were promised to the Marquis Federico I Gonzaga and his wife Margaret of Bavaria.

Read more... Add to route
"Loghino Sei Piane" Farm
Serravalle a Po

Farm where cereals, vegetables and fruit are grown combining modern knowledge and technology with experience passed down from generation to generation.

Read more... Add to route
45° parallel
Schivenoglia

The 45th parallel signals latitude and is at an equidistant point between the North Pole and the Equator: 5000 kilometers from both points.

Read more... Add to route
Brazzuolo oratory
Schivenoglia

The oratory, dating from 1688, shows up with an elegant front of remarkable architectural importance, and is dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario.

Read more... Add to route
Quinces apples
San Giacomo delle Segnate

Even in Mantua and in its territory in ancient times there are no large apple crops, fruit was destined to local use and was cultivated in the garden of the countryside and within city walls, in spaces intended to meet food needs of the inhabitants.

Read more... Add to route
lavender

Agricola Stoffi is a relatively young farm of the Low Mantua, the land of the Oltrepò Mantovano, where it extends for almost 30 "biolche", about 10 hectares.

Read more... Add to route
Arrigona Court
San Giacomo delle Segnate

The villa was built between 1613 and 1622, it is a rural-residential complex to be attributed to architect Antonio Maria Viani and includes the 17th-century villa with a late baroque oratory, park and still cultivated land.

Read more... Add to route
The Apple House
San Giacomo delle Segnate

Of eighteenth century origins and noble agricultural tradition, this villa was restored by artist Vanni Viviani who made it the home of his dreams: a magical place where his inspirational fruit, the apple, reverberates everywhere.

Read more... Add to route
Rezzaghi's Villa
San Giacomo delle Segnate

Villa Rezzaghi was the headquarters of the German General Command during the Second World War. Inside the yard of the Villa, next to the fence that runs along Via Marconi, a memorial stone has been placed in memory of the bombing of April 16, 1945.

Read more... Add to route
Po river Museum and the ship mill
Revere

Revere Museum collects some fragments of this world: work tools, fishing nets, harpoons, fish traps, models of tugboats, river shuttle, water mills (major protagonists of everyday life in the nineteenth century), a ferry that, last in a row of 13 boats - the first of which was anchored to the bottom - connected the shores with a pendulum motion given by the current: you only had to act on the big rudder. There are also exhibited embalmed birds and other animals, gorgeous geographic maps of various ages, images of bridges, men carrying boats along the shore, acetylen lamps for surveillance during the floods, tariffs for passing onto the other bank in 1874: two cents for a calf, one penny for a pig. They are small pieces of an immense unfinished jigsaw, that help us though to learn a bit about the history of the great river and its people.

Read more... Add to route
Revere ducal palace
Revere

Palazzo Ducale dates back to the second half of the 14th century and was born from the transformation of the ancient fortress, wanted by the Marquis Ludovico II Gonzaga on the project of the architect Luca Fancelli,. The fortress tower, 1125, is crenellated “alla guelfa” and equipped with a bell cell.

Read more... Add to route
Truffle Museum
Borgofranco sul Po

The Tru.Mu - Truffle Museum is a center for scientific documentation of truffles. The aim of the museum is to promote the preservation and research on truffles, through a scientific approach directed at diverse users. The building is surrounded by a park with symbiotic plants for the production of truffles. Inside, Tru.Mu has a well-stocked library of scientific and culinary texts and a collection of 14 specimens of different species of truffle preserved in alcoholic substance.

Read more... Add to route
Blessed Virgin Mary Annunciation Carmelite Church
Revere

The baroque church was built in 1750 on the remains of a former church whose bell tower still stands.

Read more... Add to route
Quingentole townhall palace
Quingentole

The Town Hall, a massive building that dominates the current Piazza Italia, was built as a villa of Mantua Bishops in Quingentole, where the Bishopric of Mantua already owned several lands from 972.

Read more... Add to route
S. Lorenzo Church
Quingentole

Below the current church of S. Lorenzo, archaeological investigations have highlighted the presence of two worship buildings and other artifacts that testify to the presence of trade with the Byzantine area and the Lombard area. The oldest building dates back to the 7th century, and the following Romanesque building was a single nave church with three apses. Even from the second building some traces of the perimeter walls and a baptismal font were preserved. The building was demolished in the 18th century.

Read more... Add to route
Corniani's Puppet Museum
Quingentole

The collection of the Corniani family consists of 150 puppets, two hundred sets, three small theatres, stage objects, scripts, posters and photographs.

Read more... Add to route
San Lorenzo Park
Pegognaga

From clay pit to a place for the history and nature of the Po Plain.

Read more... Add to route
The pig

- VERONESI CLAUDIO's Farm in Via Vela, 21 - Butcher's - delicatessen Pappa&Ciccia in Via Guglielmo Marconi, 93, where you can taste special dishes - Casa Rizzoli, Fish monger - delicatessen and street food in Via Guglielmo Marconi 2539 (Ca' Vecchia place)

Read more... Add to route
Sermide Mostarda (Italian preserved fruits)
Sermide e Felonica

The historical origins of the Mostarda in the Mantua area, and more precisely in Sermide, can be traced back to 1300. It can be made with fruit or vegetables, the main feature being the use of mustard.

Read more... Add to route
Sermide's Lambrusco (red wine)
Sermide e Felonica

Mantua Lambrusco is a DOC (registered trademark) product since 1987 but the wine-making tradition in the area is far more remote.

Read more... Add to route
Sermide tower
Sermide e Felonica

Sermide in 1339 passed under the Lords of Gonzaga, who made it a fortified village with an imposing eight-tower castle: the only remaining testimony is the civic tower, a mighty crenellated structure to the left of the nineteenth-century municipal building.

Read more... Add to route
Santa Croce of Lagurano Church
Sermide e Felonica

In the hamlet of Santa Croce stands this building, a testimony to an ancient hermitage of Matilde era’s origins. The apse, the bell tower and the structure are Romanesque. Ancient Benedictines "grange", dependent on the Abbey of Felonica, it preserves in the choir frescoes of the fifteenth century and other prestigious frescoes judged by Giulio Romano’s school.

Read more... Add to route
Capuchin Church
Sermide e Felonica

Near the right bank of the Po River lies the Capuchin Church built in 1560, part of the homonymous convent, which was destroyed in the 18th century.

Read more... Add to route
Moglia Land Reclamation
Sermide e Felonica

The quantum leap of the extremely slow but progressive mechanization was also given by large-scale reclamation and irrigation works started after the Unification of Italy. In Moglia di Sermide you will find the suggestive Water pumping plant of La Gonzaghese (1907), and the Water pumping plant, 1922-26.

Read more... Add to route
Bee-eaters park
Sermide e Felonica

The wilderness area, set up in 2004, extends over an area of 388 hectares, made up largely of flood plains and huge river islands (like the Schiavi and Bianchi islands). Inside it you will find a landscape typical of the lower course of the Po, made up of inhabited areas along the main embankment, agricultural areas on “closed flood plains”, poplar woods and wetland woods which have spontaneously settled in abandoned quarries, oxbow lakes and huge sandy areas.

Read more... Add to route
Former Cableway - Environmental Education Centre
Sermide e Felonica

The Cableway was constructed in 1925 and it was part of the now dismantled sugar refinery. It served as a dock for unloading goods delivered by river, which were then forwarded onto the plant through a cableway. Today it is home to the Environmental Education Centre, which promotes awareness of the area’s unique environmental characteristics.

Read more... Add to route
Asparagus
San Benedetto Po

Asparagus was grown in the Oltrepò mantovano by monks from Polirone Monastry, as evidenced by the presence of a notably large rectangular "asparagus machine" in a 16th century map of the Abbey.

Read more... Add to route
Muscovy Duck ragu
San Benedetto Po

The Muscovy duck ragu is a traditional dish of Mantuan peasant cuisine. This type of duck has its natural habitat in the ponds, canals and swamps typical of the Mantuan landscape. It was often bred in courts, along with other pets.

Read more... Add to route
Tagliatella Cake
San Benedetto Po

Tagliatella Cake is a deliciously local dessert of ancient origins: in fact, this dish was already on the table of the Gonzaga.

Read more... Add to route
Pumpkin Tortelli
San Benedetto Po

Pumpkin Tortelli are one of the typical dishes of Mantua tradition and certainly one of the most popular dishes in Italy, also because they are connected to Christmas tradition.

Read more... Add to route
Poliriano Ethnographic Museum
San Benedetto Po

Founded in 1977, the museum is one of the largest ethnographic museums in Italy, and the most important one on a regional level.

Read more... Add to route
Millenaria: Agricoltural Fair
Gonzaga

Gonzaga Fair has been named Millenaria in the first half of the last century. The Fair is documented with certainty from 1495, when the Blessed Virgin of the Miracles was celebrated on the first Sunday of July, at the same time of the construction of the hermit’s monastery of St. Mary of Gonzaga. It is a date of national importance that summons breeders and farmers from all over the peninsula.

Read more... Add to route
San Benedetto Po Monastic complex
San Benedetto Po

All that remains of the monastery that was founded in 1007 by Tedald of Canossa and abolished in 1797 on the orders of Napoleon Bonaparte are the more characteristic sites of monastic life. They have been restored and are now included on the museum itinerary, allowing for an immersive experience in Benedictine life that is epitomised by the motto “Ora, lege et labora” (Pray, read and work).

Read more... Add to route
Gonzaga's Villa in Portiolo
San Benedetto Po

The first example of villa-castle made by the Gonzaga, it then became the hunting lodge of the Cadet branch of the Gonzaga of Vescovato and finally noble and prestigious residence. It was inhabited until the sixties of the last century.

Read more... Add to route
St. Benedict Church
Gonzaga

The parish church named after St. Benedict, with its fine paintings, is of Canossa origins. According to some sources, this church is one of the first to be built by Matilde of Canossa, around 1089.

Read more... Add to route
Former convent of Santa Maria
Gonzaga

Currently it houses a library and the Collection of the Twentieth Century.

Read more... Add to route
Lambrusco
Gonzaga

Gonzaga's Cooperative Winery is a farming company that can boast a history of over eighty years. Founded in 1928 by a limited number of members, it now counts one hundred and works about 30000 quintals of grapes a year.

Read more... Add to route
Agricultural products of excellence
Quingentole

There are several farms in Quingentole area that cultivate and commercialize products of excellence. There is also a collection dedicated to those who have a passion for vintage tractors

Read more... Add to route
Boschina Island
Ostiglia

Isola Boschina is in a pretty sheltered point of the lower course of Po river, just downstream one of its narrowest parts, between Ostiglia and Revere. According to some archive documents, it was likely formed in mid XVII century.

Read more... Add to route
Falconier Tower and Town Hall
Poggio Rusco

Historically, Gonzaga's ancient property is easily recognizable in the Town Hall, former Palazzo Gonzaga (Piazza Maggio, 5), built around themiddle of 1400 by Luca Fancelli's design, and by the Torre Falconiera, or Colombara, a symbol of the village.

Read more... Add to route
Dragoncello Church and monument of fallen
Poggio Rusco

In the hamlet of Dragoncello a Church was built, named after St. Mary and St. Mary Magdalene, parachutist protector. Nearby lies the altar monument in memory of fallen paratroopers in the operation Herring, 1945.

Read more... Add to route
Mostarda
Pieve di Coriano

Mostarda mantovana is prepared with a single type of fruit (pear, campanina apple or quince) cut into pieces, or thinly sliced.

Read more... Add to route
Romanesque Church
Pieve di Coriano

This is a harmonious construction whose foundation is attributed to Matilde in the 11th century, whose remarkable interior is decorated with valuable frescoes, mainly from the second half of the fifteenth century.

Read more... Add to route
Fluvial mooring
Pieve di Coriano

The fluvial mooring in Pieve di Coriano was born to exploit the Po river which, in addition to being the longest Italian river, is, together with its many tributaries, the only true river system of Italy, which and therefore is increasingly revalued.

Read more... Add to route
Palazzo Pigozzi
Pieve di Coriano

Private Renaissance Villa immersed in a lush greenery is used today for ceremonies and celebrations, as well as for exhibitions and cultural events

Read more... Add to route
Livia Bottardi Milani Cultural Center
Pegognaga

The collection is made up of more than 3000 documents produced and kept by Giuseppe Sissa, including manuscripts, typescripts, articles, books and magazines. The collection also contains photographs and a large collection of architecture and art magazines

Read more... Add to route
Greggiati Musical Foundation
Ostiglia

The Foundation holds a substantial collection of musical works that the priest Giuseppe Greggiati (1793-1866) left to the town council of Ostiglia: manuscripts and printed works dating from the fourteenth century to the first half of the nineteenth century; opera librettos, many of them printed in Mantua, bearing the texts of works that were to be performed in the same city.

Read more... Add to route
Ostiglia Swamps
Ostiglia

Ostiglia Swamp Nature Reserve is a rare example of an elevated swamp, the last testimony of the Great Verona Valleys, a vast swamp - over 30,000 hectares - whose reclamation began around 1850 but ended only in the 1970s.

Read more... Add to route
Ostiglia Archaeological museum
Ostiglia

The most remote trace of human settlement in the area dates back to the Mesolithic period around 10,000 years ago. The museum includes exhibits dating back to the Bronze Age grouped according to function (ceramic, tools made from bone and horn, fumaroles, loom weights, etc.), Iron Age objects (from the Etruscan and ancient Veneti civilisations) and a rich collection of Roman artefacts when Hostilia, as it was known in Latin, enjoyed considerable prosperity thanks to the fertility of its soil and its role as a port of call on the River Po, at the point in which the via Claudia-Augusta, coming from the Danube through the Adige valley, crossed the Po. The rooms are equipped with a rich array of educational material.

Read more... Add to route
Palazzina Mondadori
Ostiglia

The Palazzina Mondadori in Ostiglia, in Art Nouveau style, was the site of Arnoldo Mondadori’s first printing works. Now restored, it hosts his personal and private library made up of around 1,000 books, some signed by the authors themselves.

Read more... Add to route
Museum of Pharmacopoeia
Ostiglia

The Museum of Pharmacopoeia is partly made up of wooden apothecary forms (25 pieces), glass, porcelain and majolica of great artistic and historical interest and in part of documents. The most valuable element in the collection are the 136 antique vases, made in Venetian laboratories (Mainardi factories and others from Bassano) mainly turquoise, well preserved and of rare beauty.

Read more... Add to route
Special Protection Zone
Ostiglia

The Special Protection Zone "Viadana, Portiolo San Benedetto Po, Ostiglia" is divided into four large territories - only partially belonging to the territory of Oltrepò - and belongs to the European Ecological Network Natura 2000.

Read more... Add to route
Daffini Archive
Motteggiana

Established in 1998, the Archive is dedicated to Giovanna Iris Daffini and it holds materials from traditional folk balladeers and authors: texts, documents, photographs, articles, specialist magazines and a considerable amount of audio-visual documents.

Read more... Add to route
Turtei scapà (fled tortelli)
Motteggiana

Diced pumpkin tossed in the pan with some shallot, bay, white wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg… the filling usually used for tortelli is eaten here with maccheroni! A traditional recipe for those who don’t have the time to make the parcels! Don’t forget to add some crumbled amaretto biscuit before serving.

Read more... Add to route
Rural Courts and Gonzaga courts
Motteggiana

Next to big noble courts such as the Quaranta and Nogarola of Torricella or Tedolda of Villa Saviola, there are some interesting examples of courts of monastic origin such as the Gonfo court, or courts of the great and medium-sized bourgeoisie such as the Fabbrica court. All deserve to be seen

Read more... Add to route
St. Jerome Church
Motteggiana

The building dedicated to St. Jerome was built by Duke Guglielmo Gonzagain 1585, when, having to stay in Motteggiana in that sultry summer, he noticed local residents' difficulty in following religious functions, who had to go to Sailetto or Villa Saviola.

Read more... Add to route
Villa Galvagnina
Moglia

Palazzo del Cinquecento with frescoes in recovery.

Read more... Add to route
The Wedding Museum
Moglia

The Wedding Museum collection gathers items and documents related to the history of wedding from 1450 to today, it tells the evolution of bridal taste and habits over the last centuries of our recent history, through old images, old photographic appliances, party favors, books, accessories and hundreds of curious objects and documents.

Read more... Add to route
Balazzi's garden
Moglia

Claudio Baldazzi's private garden because of the extraordinary richness of plants is considered by the English press of the sector one of the most beautiful garden in Italy.

Read more... Add to route
Monument to the Martyrs of all wars
Moglia

The work was made by the famous sculptor Pompeo Coppini (1870-1957), native of Moglia, who emigrated to the United States in 1896, where he earned the well-deserved success.

Read more... Add to route
Mirandola - Rolo unfinished railway
Moglia

On February 16, 1922, the administration of Reggio Emilia began the construction of the railway line that initially had to link Rolo to Novellara. Although complete and equipped with all the service buildings built and even with staff hired, it was never activated.

Read more... Add to route
Emigrant's Museum
Magnacavallo

Between the second half of the nineteenth century and the First World War, Magnacavallo and the Basso Mantovano (the lower part of the Province of Mantua) experienced large scale emigration to Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, Australia as well as the industrialized areas of Northern Lombardy. The “Monument to the Emigrant” was unveiled in 1990 and since then Magnacavallo has become “the spiritual capital of Mantuan emigration.”

Read more... Add to route
The Tartufesta
Carbonara di Po

Truffle local fair, organized by the local tourism committee.

Read more... Add to route
Beata vergine Andreasi of Carbonarola
Carbonara di Po

Osanna Andreasi (1449-1505), belonging to one of the most illustrious Mantuan families, was a Tertiary Dominican, a nun living in his own house, a beautiful 15th century house with a façade of Luca Fancelli, still existing (and visitable) in via Frattini 9, in Mantova. In the church in Carbonarola a portrait of hers, commissioned just following her death, can be visited .

Read more... Add to route
Dino Villani house
Suzzara

At number 8 of Perticate road, you'll find the house where the young Dino Villani (1898-1989) lived, before moving to Milan.

Read more... Add to route
Astronomical observatory
San Benedetto Po

Public Astronomical Observatory operated by the Astrophilic Mantuan Association. The observatory is open to visitors on Saturday night between 21:00 and 24:00.

Read more... Add to route
Arts and crafts school
Suzzara

On October 9, 1877, Francesco Piazzalunga, Agostino Bertazzoni, Venceslao Ceretti, Agricola Sears asked the Municipal Council of Suzzara the permission to open a Technical Evening School with the aim of "raising the disadvantaged people". The request was accepted, the School opened and thus the story started.

Read more... Add to route
Art in Arts and crafts school
Suzzara

Inside and on the initiative of a Professional School, in 2001 the free subject Art Exhibition called Art in Arts and Crafts was born. The School of Arts and Crafts, in fact, created the Prize open to all artists and designed primarily for young people seeking a way to be known to the general public.

Read more... Add to route
Dino Villani collection
Suzzara

Motivated by the generosity of the family and its intent to preserve in Suzzara territory the memory of the artist and his production, the Dino Villani Collection was born due to the donation of the Art and Craft School Foundation "F. Bertazzoni", which constitutes the initial core of the collection. It dates back to October 1, 1992

Read more... Add to route
Museum of Medieval Towers
Ostiglia

The Museum of the Towers, as well as allowing the view of the remains of the castle, let people admire an extensive landscape of the Plain, characterized by the Po river. The exhibited elements, in their complexity, also characterize it as a Local History Museum, where to retrace, particularly through the findings found in Ostiglia and in the Castle area, the past of Ostiglia, from the Middle Ages to the 19th century.

Read more... Add to route
Carnival in Poggio Rusco
Poggio Rusco

Carnival that every year is staged in Poggio Rusco.

Read more... Add to route
Kitchen Ostiglia: food and local products
Ostiglia

Ostiglia is located in an area of distinct agricultural and zootechnical vocation: "Ostiglia" rice, pig farm, agnolini, lambrusco and grain, as well as local and delicious desserts populate the local menu.

Read more... Add to route
St. Mary of Valverde Church
San Benedetto Po

Santa Maria da Valverde is a Gothic-Romanesque treasure in the countryside of San Benedetto Po. The place still embodies the name that defines it: a lush greenery of meadows and cultivations, in the middle of which stands the little church, whose current shapes date back to a restoration of 1445. The interior decoration made up of the great fresco in the apse represents the Annunciation with the figure of the Eternal Father on the extrados and busts of prophets on the arch.

Read more... Add to route
San Biagio oratory
Revere

It is located in the hamlet of Zello and is the oldest worship building of Revere. Its walls are covered by late 15th century frescoes.

Read more... Add to route
San Lorenzo oratory
Quingentole

The eighteenth-century oratory dedicated to the Virgin of Loreto is located in the archaeological area of San Lorenzo and was built over the ancient parish church built about XI-XIIth century and one of the oldest churches in Mantua, VII sec.

Read more... Add to route